AP State Archeology Museum
AP State Archeology Museum or Hyderabad Museum is a museum located in Hyderabad, India. Archeologist Henry Cousens first explored the site in the beginning of the 19th century, and around 1940 the mound was excavated under the supervision of Nizam of Hyderabad. The excavated items were place in a museum built on the ancient site. In 1952, the museum's contents were moved to the current build, under the administrative control of Archaeological Survey of India.
In 1930, the State Museum was installed inside a palace constructed in 1864, within the Public Gardens, Nampally. The Nizam had built the palace for one of his daughters, and it was called the "Doll's House". However, due to a superstition, the daughter did not occupy the palace. The AP State Archeology Museum is the only museum in the country with reproductions of the Ajanta paintings. Its manuscript section includes a copy of the Quran bearing the seal of Emperor Shah Jahan.
CollectionThis museum's main attraction is its Egyptian mummy, which was brought to Hyderabad by the son-in-law of VI Nizam Mahbub Ali Khan, and donated it to the last Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan. He reportedly brought it for a paltry sum of 1000 pounds.The museum has a gallery on buddha and has a wide collection of archaeological artefacts.